I have recently developed an interest in relaxation, meditation and yoga. I always thought that meditation was reserved for deep thinkers who can see beyond the present, but it turned out that meditation and relaxation are indeed not that difficult. Relaxation requires correct abdominal breathing and a relaxed posture. I will tell you about what worked for me, it’s very simple and I actually do a 10-minute session almost every day.
To put it in simple words, if you want to relax your mind and body, you need to:
- Make sure you’re wearing comfortable and loose clothes;
- Sit in a relaxed position with your legs crossed, or lie down on your back;
- Make sure none of your muscles are tense, check your arms, hands, legs, feet, shoulders, jaw …
- Breathe in and out from your nostrils (or exhale from your mouth) in such a way that when you inhale your tummy rises and when you exhale you tummy is sucked in;
- Focus either on object in the room, it could be a candle, a flower, a bowl or focus on your breathing listening to how you inhale and exhale;
- If you find that your mind is wandering, bring back your attention to the object or your breathing and think only of that, it takes a few times of practice.