It’s still very hot and humid where I live and having survived 90% humidity last night at the Eye of the Tiger comedy show that took place OUTDOORS despite the heat, I thought that today for lunch I should have something juicy and refreshing and cold. Easy. A salad with everything in it!
For this appetizing and refreshing salad, I used cucumber, tomato, broccoli, white mushrooms, sliced green and black olives, green pepper, feta cheese and grilled chicken breast.
I had marinated the chicken breast last night overnight with balsamic vinegar, a shy dash of olive oil, a sprinkle of salt, garlic powder and oreganoWhile I was chopping the vegetables, I grilled the breast in a stick-proof pan. The chicken meat was very tender and it had absorbed all the flavor from the vinegar. A great topper for this colorful salad.
For the dressing, I used freshly squeezed lemon juice, olive oil and again a sprinkle of salt and oregano.
You can basically add anything (or take out what you do not like) to this salad. But my advice is to leave the feta and olives; they give the salad a different twist.
Ingredients (for two):
– 1 cup of basmati rice
– 1 Tbsp of oil
– 1/2 tsp mixed spice
– 1/2 tsp turmeric
– 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
– 2 cups of water
– 2 fish fillet
– Slices of lemon
– Crushed coriander seeds
– Salt and pepper
– Cilantro for garnishing
– Fry the garlic with the turmeric and the mixed spice.
– Add the rice. Stir well until the rice is well coated with the yellow turmeric.
– Add the water and salt, when it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water has evaporated and the rice is fluffy.
– To prepare the fish, coat the fish well with the crushed coriander seeds, oregano, salt and pepper.
– In a heated stick-proof pan, grill the fish with the slices of lemon on top. Grill until both sides are golden.
– Serve the rice with the fish on the side. Garnish with cilantro.
A really light meal, great with a glass of cold white wine.
I have NO idea what has gotten into me, but I am suddenly baking different kinds of muffins NONSTOP! They are so easy to prepare and they bake so fast and they look so cute. They’re great for any and every occasion.
Cranberry and Blackberry Muffins
Ingredients (make 6 muffins):
– 1 cup sifted flour
– 1/2 cup brown sugar
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp vanilla
– 1 egg, whisked
– 3 Tbsp oil
– 1/2 cup milk (or less)
– 3/4 cup berries (cranberries and blackberries – I used frozen)
– Preheat oven to 350F.
– Mix dry ingredients together.
– In another bowl, mix the egg with the oil and milk. Whisk together.
– Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well.
– Add the berries. Mix well.
– Pour into muffin cups.
– Bake for 25 minutes.
And you’ll have the cutest muffins to have with your cup of coffee or tea for breakfast or even in the afternoon with a glass of homemade orange iced tea.