We usually look forward to the weekend so we can do the hobbies we enjoy or the activities that we we hadn’t had time for during the week. For me, the weekend in the winter could include a trip to a new cafe, a homemade meal (preferably something in the oven), and an hour on the couch reading my novel.
This weekend’s oven baked dish is the classical Melanzane Parmigiana, with a twist. It is a no-fuss recipe that requires no pre-cooking of the tomato sauce. In addition to the grilled eggplants, I roasted half a red bell pepper and finished with a mix of mozzarella and cheddar cheese. Follow the recipe step by step and you’ll end up with a finger-licking Melanzane Parmigiana!
Ingredients (for 2):
- 1 medium sized eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch circles
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into quarters
- Olive oil
- 1 can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- A handful of coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of grated mozzarella and cheddar
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
1. On a baking sheet, brush the eggplant slices and the red pepper with olive oil on both sides and broil until brown. I peeled the red pepper after they grilled because I really dislike the skin when it comes off the pepper.
2. In a bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients except the two kinds of cheese. Mix well with a spoon.
3. In the baking dish, place the grilled eggplants at the bottom, spread the tomato sauce mix on top of them, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over that, place the grilled red pepper, and finish with the mozzarella and cheddar cheese.
4. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the tomato sauce is boiling and the cheese has melted.