Do you have a rice cooker? I have recently invested in one and I do not regret it one bit. I was always hesitant to buy one thinking that it pretty much does what a regular pot does. Well, it does, only that you don’t have to keep an eye on it, and that could be a very critical detail when you’re preparing several dishes at the same time.
I use my rice cooker not just to cook white rice, but also to make any mixed rice recipe like this one. I served this rice with a green salad on the side. The ingredients below will yield 3 generous servings.
– 1.5 cups short grain rice (I used Italian rice), washed
– 1.5 cups water
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 3 Merguez sausages
– 1 onion, finely chopped
– A sprig of rosemary, the little leaves taken apart from the stem
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
1. Cut the Merguez sausages into small discs. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the Merguez on medium heat. When the sausages are cooked on the outside, add the chopped onion and cook everything until the onion turns translucent and the sausages are further cooked.
2. Add the washed rice, salt and rosemary and give everything a good stir.
3. Pour what you have in the pan into your rice cooker. Add the water. Turn on your cooker and let the rice slowly cook.
If you’re not using a rice cooker, add the water into the pan (you might need more water), lower heat, cover, and cook until the rice has absorbed all the water and is well cooked.
It is a really easy and aromatic recipe. With a side salad, it makes a great dinner on a working day.