As you have noticed from my recipes or the recipes that I choose to make, I rarely cook or eat red meat. In general I prefer vegetables, chicken, and fish to red meat, but Japanese-inspired recipes like this one call for lean red meat.
Tonight my appetite was asking for a Japanese-style dish with noodles, so I got some really lean veal meat and I put together this recipe. The shiitake mushrooms are optional but since I had them in my cupboard, I used them.
Ingredients (for 2):
– 300 g lean veal cut into strips
– 1 garlic clove minced
– 1 Tbsp of fresh ginger minced
– 1/4 cup soy sauce
– 1/8 cup of rice vinegar
– 1 Tbsp sesame oil
– 1 Tbsp of brown sugar
– 1 tsp dried chili flakes
– 1/4 cup dried shiitake mushrooms (optional)
– Soak the shiitake mushrooms in warm water. Set aside.
– Marinade the meat with all the ingredients for 15 minutes.
– Heat a pan and then cook the meat with the marinade. When the meat is almost done, add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid marinade is almost gone.
– Serve over noodles or with white rice on the side.