I have several bags of frozen spinach and here’s another great recipe using spinach and two of my favorite ingredients: cheese and cream. If you use frozen spinach then this recipe won’t take longer than half an hour.
Ingredients (for 4)
– 350g frozen spinach
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– A pinch of salt
– 250ml cooking cream
– Salt, white pepper and a pinch of nutmeg
– Half of a handful of shredded mozzarella
– 8 sheets of lasagna, cooked
– Shredded mozzarella and Gruyère cheese, separate
Preheat the oven to 350F.
1. Thaw the spinach in a bath of hot water for five minute. Drain and with your hands squeeze out the water from the spinach. Sauté the spinach in olive oil until they’re soft and cooked. Add a little bit of salt and set aside.
2. Pour the cream in a saucepan, season it and add the little bit of mozzarella cheese. Bring to boil and then lower the heat to the minimum and leave it simmering while you roll the lasagna pasta sheets.
3. Lay out a lasagna sheet on a wooden chopping board. With a small spoon, scoop spinach and make a row on the lasagna sheet across the width. Roll the lasagna around the spinach to form a thick finger, much similar to a cannelloni. Repeat with the rest 7 sheets.
4. Spread two spoonfuls of the cream all over the bottom of the baking dish. Line the lasagna rolls side by side to cover the area of the baking dish. Pour over the white sauce, it will not cover the pasta, it will just coat them a little. The pasta is cooked so there’s no need for any liquid to completely cover the pasta. Now sprinkle some Gruyère cheese on top and another final layer of mozzarella cheese.
5. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. For a golden effect, place the dish under the broiler for a few minutes.