I can hear you going “yummmmmmy!”
Ingredients for a 22cmx33cm baking dish (9inchx13inch)
– 450g broccoli
– 1/3 cup short grain rice
– 1 Tbsp olive oil
– 2 cups grated cheese, as usual I use a mix of mozzarella and Emmental
– 4 eggs
– 1 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
– 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
– 1 cup cooking cream
– 1/2 cup of dry bread crumbs
– A handful of fresh thyme leaves
– Olive oil for drizzling
1. Preheat the oven to 375F and brush the bottom of the baking dish you’re using with olive oil.
2. In a pot of boiling water, let the broccoli florets boil for 2 minutes, just to soften a little. Drain and keep aside.
3. In the same pot of water (or a fresh new one), boil the rice for ten minutes and then drain and set aside too.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the salt, nutmeg and black pepper.
5. In a large bowl, mix the broccoli, 1 Tbsp of olive oil and rice. Add the cheese and mix. Add the eggs and then stir in the cream. Pour the mixture in the baking dish.
6. To prepare the bread crumb topping, in a food processor whiz together the breadcrumbs with the thyme leaves and a drizzle of olive oil, and then sprinkle over the mixture in the baking dish.
7. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Check every now and then to see if any air bubbles are forming and if so, simply poke with a knife.
8. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.