For this beautiful plate of baba ghannouj, you need:
– 500 g eggplants
– 4 Tbsp tahini
– Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
– 1/2 heaped tsp salt
– Olive oil
– 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
– Place the eggplants in a baking tray in the oven. Broil for 30 minutes (or until the eggplants become very soft), turning the eggplants over half way.
– Take the eggplants out of the oven and carefully peel off the skin and cut off the top.
– Place the pulp of the eggplants in a colander to strain the water out of it. (10 minutes)
– Using a food processor or with a fork, mash the eggplants with the tahini, salt and lemon juice. Mix until until almost creamy.
– Place in a plate and generously pour extra virgin olive oil. Baba ghannouj is best served cold, so cool it in the fridge before having it with pita bread as a dip or as a side dish to a green salad.