Straight out from the oven! I’ve been meaning to bake a poppy seed cake for a while now, so I am happy that I got round to trying it before the end of the year! It turned out to be zesty, soft and quite moist. I think it would go great with a cup of black tea, maybe English Breakfast.
For this cake you need:
– 1 cup flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– Zest and juice of two lemons
– 100g butter, softened
– 1/2 cup sugar
– 3 eggs
– 1/8 cup poppy seeds
– Preheat the oven to 180C.
– Sift the flour and baking soda.
– In a bowl, beat the butter with the sugar. Add the eggs one by one and keep beating.
– Add the lemon zest and juice and the poppy seed. Mix well.
– Add the flour and baking soda.
– Pour into a round cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes.
– Sprinkle icing sugar after the cake has cooled down.
Why poppy seeds? They look really nice in cakes! They scatter nicely in the batter and they do not fall to the bottom of the cake tin or stick together. They give a really nice splash of black in a yellow batter.