As a food lover, my contribution to Halloween celebrations this year is these beautiful cupcakes.
My friend Amanda and I got together last night to bake these Halloween treats. We used a recipe from Martha Stewart’s book, but played around a little with it. (Original recipe can be found here). We took out some ingredients and increased the quantity of others and in the end came out with these delicious and moist cakes. I am an honest food lover so I have to say that Amanda did most of the work and even lent her fingers to these photos!
For 36 of these yummy cupcakes (or a 23 inch round cake), you need:
– 2.5 cups grated carrots
– 3 eggs, room temperature
– 1/3 cup butter milk
– 1 cup vegetable oil
– 3 cups flour
– 2 cups brown sugar
– 1 tsp vanilla
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1.5 tsp cinnamon powder
– 1 Tbsp ginger powder
– 1 tsp salt
– Preheat the oven to 375F.
– In a large bowl, mix together the grated carrots, oil, eggs and buttermilk.
– In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
– Fold the dry ingredients into the carrot mixture, stirring in between every cup you fold in.
– Pour the batter into paper cupcakes fitted in a cupcake baking tray.
– Bake each tray for 20 minutes. Test with a wooden toothpick before you take out. The cupcakes should feel moist but your toothpick should come out dry.
Your cupcakes are not yet ready! You need to smother them with the best homemade cream cheese frosting!
For the cream, you need 2 cups of cream cheese, 2 cups of caster sugar, 4 Tbsp of orange zest and a squeeze of orange juice. Cream these ingredients well together. You can freeze any leftover frosting.
AND HAPPY HALLOWEEN!