A very fulfilling, nutritious and simple vegetarian recipe: pasta with chickpeas and tomato sauce. I don’t know how the original one is done, but I worked with what I had and this was the result:
INGREDIENTS: (to serve 3)
– One small onion, chopped finely
– One garlic clove, chopped finely
– One small fennel, chopped (optional)
– Olive oil
– One can of peeled and chopped tomatoes
– One can of chickpeas, washed and drained
– One glass of hot water (or vegetable stock)
– One teaspoon rosemary
– One cup pasta, any shape fit for soups
– One Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
– Salt and pepper to taste
METHOD: Fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil. Add the fennel. Add the rosemary. Fry for 3 to 5 more minutes. Add the chickpeas. Stir. Add the hot water. Add salt to taste. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes. With a slotted spoon, take out one spoon of chickpeas and save aside. Add the tomato sauce to the remaining chickpeas. Stir well. In a food processor, blend the tomato and chickpea mixture until creamy. Put back in the pot , add the chickpeas that you saved, add the pasta and bring to boil. Cook until pasta is done. Add cheese. Mix well. Add black pepper. Serve hot.
A really savory, fulfilling and nutritious meal.