It is almost winter and spicy dishes are always enjoyed more during cold seasons, so to welcome this beautiful time of year I made this fish biryani for lunch today. The rice came out very fluffy and spicy, you can almost taste every single spice that I used. Very aromatic.
FISH BIRYANI (for 2)
- 2 white fish fillets, whatever is available in your country
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Black pepper, salt & coriander seeds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (I use Canola)
- 10 whole cloves
- 5 cardamom seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 thin cinnamon stick
- 2 little dried chili
- 3 cups of hot water
1. Preheat the oven to 400F.
2. Season the fish fillets with the olive oil, salt, black pepper and crushed coriander seeds (crush them under the knife).
3. Place the fillets in a pan and toss in the oven until they’re cooked. Turn over to the other side half way through.
4. In a pot over medium heat, pour the vegetable oil and start frying the onions. Add in all the spices. Stir well. The onions will now start smelling aromatic and will turn very dark in color. As the onions are frying, soak the rice in warm water.
5. When the onions turn translucent, drain the rice and wash it well under running water. Then, put the rice over the onions and stir well until all the rice becomes well coated with the spices and it turns yellow (because of the turmeric powder).
6. By this time your fish should be ready. Take our the fish fillets from the oven (discard any liquid they might have let out) and place them nicely over the rice in the pot. The fish should cover all of the rice and should form a nice layer of fish. Pour the 3 cups of hot water over the rice and fish, bring to boil and then lower the heat the minimum and cover. Let cook for 20 minutes.
7. After 20 minutes the rice should be done, it should have absorbed all of the water. It will be yellow and it will smell delicious!!
To serve it in a presentable way, scoop the rice first into the plate and then decorate with the fish fillets. ENJOY!!