I love lemon cakes and lemon tarts and although I’ve made lemon cupcakes before, I haven’t made a cake that ends with a sweet lemon syrup being poured over it! The perfect balance between sweet and citric. I found this recipe in Elle magazine November issue, it was provided by Daniele Gerkens for whom I couldn’t find a website, blog or link. But here’s the recipe (I changed a little in the original recipe) for this SUPER JUICY lemon cake.
- 15og butter, melted
- 175g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 250g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 3 lemons
- 150g of icing sugar or caster sugar
Preheat the oven to 375F/180C.
1. In a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar well. Add the butter. Whisk again.
2. Add the 3 dry ingredients gradually and mix the batter until it is silky smooth.
3. Add the zest of the lemons.
4. Pour the batter in your cake mold (I used a loaf pan) and pop in the oven for 45 minutes.
5. While the cake is baking, make the syrup by mixing the icing sugar with the lemon juice.
6. When the cake has properly baked, take it out of the oven, poke it with a skewer several times in several spots and while it is still hot pour the lemon syrup all over.
7. Let the cake cool before you take it out of the baking pan and serving.