For this beautiful plate of baba ghannouj, you need:
- 500 g eggplants
- 4 Tbsp tahini
- Juice of 1 and 1/2 lemons
- 1/2 heaped tsp salt
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
- Place the eggplants in a baking tray in the oven. Broil for 30 minutes (or until the eggplants become very soft), turning the eggplants over half way.
- Take the eggplants out of the oven and carefully peel off the skin and cut off the top.
- Place the pulp of the eggplants in a colander to strain the water out of it. (10 minutes)
- Using a food processor or with a fork, mash the eggplants with the tahini, salt and lemon juice. Mix until until almost creamy.
- Place in a plate and generously pour extra virgin olive oil. Baba ghannouj is best served cold, so cool it in the fridge before having it with pita bread as a dip or as a side dish to a green salad.